1 a long seat for more than one person
2 the reserve players on a team; "our team has a strong bench"
3 a level shelf of land interrupting a declivity (with steep slopes above and below) [syn: terrace]
4 persons who administer justice [syn: judiciary]
6 the magistrate or judge or judges sitting in court in judicial capacity to compose the court collectively
1 take out of a game; of players
2 exhibit on a bench; "bench the poodles at the dog show"
- A long seat, for
example, in the park.
- They sat on a park bench and tossed bread crumbs to the ducks and pigeons.
- In law, the people who decide on the verdict; the judiciary.
- They are awaiting a decision on the motion from the bench.
- In the context of "law|figurative": The place where the
- She sat on the bench for 30 years before she retired.
- The place where players of a sport sit when not playing.
- He spent the first three games on the bench, watching.
- A place where assembly or hand work is performed; a workbench.
- She placed the workpiece on the bench, inspected it closely, and opened the cover.
- A horizontal padded surface, usually with a weight rack, used for support during exercise.
long seat in the park
- Czech: lavička
- German: Bank
- Hungarian: pad
- Latin: subsellium
- Polish: ławka
- Russian: скамейка, скамья
- Swedish: bänk
long seat at a table
- Czech: lavice
- German: Bank
- Hungarian: ülőpad, lóca
- Russian: скамейка, скамья, лавка
- Swedish: bänk
where players of a sport sit
(for (1) unless stated)
- ttbc Dutch: bank f, zitbank f
- ttbc Esperanto: benko
- ttbc Filipino: bangko
- ttbc French: banc m, parquet m (2)
- ttbc Greek: μπαγκάκι
- ttbc Hebrew: ספסל (safsal')
- ttbc Indonesian: bangku
- ttbc Interlingua: banco
- ttbc Italian: banco
- ttbc Japanese: ベンチ (benchi)
- ttbc Portuguese: banco
- ttbc Slovenian: klop
- ttbc Spanish: banco
- Volapük: bam
- In the context of "transitive|sports": To sideline; to remove a player
- They benched him for the rest of the game because they thought he was injured.
- In the context of "transitive|weightlifting": To lift by bench
- I heard he can bench 150 pounds.
- To push the victim back on the person behind them who is on their hands and knees and end up falling over
A Bench (furniture) is a long seat fit for several people, with or without back and/or arm rests, for sitting indoor (often in rows) or outdoor (as in a park). Benches are most often found in bus stops, parks, and cafeterias. Some benches are dedicated as a small memorial.
Bench may also refer to:
- A popular Filipino clothing brand established in the Philippines in 1987
- A style, or brand of clothing heavily popular in Europe. These clothes are often winter fashions dedicated to keeping you warm. More recently; Bench has come out with casual wear designs.
- The "bench" refers to the players on the roster that do not start regularly or are not currently playing in any given game ("on the bench")
- Bench (weight training), a piece of weight training equipment, often very similar to the above "wide backless chair"
- Bench press, an open-chained form of free-weightlifting equipment
- Baseball Hall of Famer Johnny Bench
- Bench or bentsching, the Jewish blessing said after a meal
- Bench language (Bench-non), a Northern Omotic language spoken in Kaffa (southeastern Ethiopia)
- Workbench, a place of work consisting of a table and perhaps places to keep an arrangement of tools and materials.
- Bench scale, at a laboratory (small) scale in contrast to commercial scale
- In surveying and civil engineering, a landform consisting of a long strip of land at constant height in an otherwise sloped area. If natural it is typically caused by successive depositions and erosions by a river in a floodplain. It may also be part of an artificial earthwork (c.f. benchmark, q.v. berm)
- The Bench refers to the buffer of employees who aren't assigned to any project. This is to ensure that staffing of new projects is fairly easy.
bench in Finnish: Penkki
bench in Swedish: Bänk
British Cabinet, Sanhedrin, US Cabinet, advisory body, agency, ambo, assembly, association, atelier, bar, barbershop, beauty parlor, beauty shop, board, body of advisers, borough council, brain trust, buffet, butcher shop, cabinet, camarilla, chair, chamber, city council, common council, company, concern, conference, congress, consultative assembly, corporation, council, council fire, council of ministers, council of state, council of war, counter, county council, court, curule chair, dais, deliberative assembly, desk, diet, directory, divan, escritoire, establishment, facility, firm, helm, house, installation, institution, judgment seat, junta, kitchen cabinet, lectern, legislature, loft, mercy seat, mesa, organization, parish council, parlor, plateau, privy council, saddle, seat, seat of justice, seat of power, seat of state, secretaire, secretary, shop, soviet, staff, stand, studio, sweatshop, syndicate, synod, table, table mountain, tableland, tribunal, woolsack, work site, work space, workbench, workhouse, working space, workplace, workroom, workshop, worktable, writing table